For many of us, healthy consensual sex can be enjoyable and so much fun. Trying new positions and new sexual activities can be exciting and the orgasms that follow can be mind-blowing. But, did you know that beyond all that fun lies a significant number of health benefits? That’s right…sex can improve your overall health! Having sex with your partner one to three times per week can benefit the two of you in the following ways:
1. Eases stress & fights depression. During sex, the body releases a natural “feel good” hormone called oxytocin. This hormone activates the pleasure center of your brain which creates relaxation and wards off anxiety and depression.
2. Better sleep. Have you ever noticed becoming unusually tired after sex and orgasms? If so, it’s primarily due to the release of a hormone called prolactin. Prolactin (and also oxytocin) causes the feeling of sleepiness and relaxation.
3. Boosts your immune system. Having sex at least once per week can help you avoid getting sick. People that have sex at least once per week are known to have higher levels of an antibody called immunoglobulin A (IgA). IgA’s primary function is to fight and destroy foreign substances at the body’s various entry points such as the ears, eyes, nose, breathing passages, digestive tract, and vagina.
4. Relieves pain & headaches. Has there ever been a time when your partner’s wanted to have some fun in the bedroom but you’re too sore or have a headache? If so, trade the aspirin for a mind-blowing orgasm. As earlier mentioned, oxytocin is released during sex. Just before climax, the oxytocin courses through your body and releases endorphins that resemble morphine during orgasm. These morphine-like endorphins are a natural pain reliever and have also been known to relieve menstrual cramps. Remember, if you are having aches and pains and your partner isn’t available, you can achieve the “big O” by yourself for relief!
5. Improves blood flow & overall heart health. Sexual activities provide many of the same cardiovascular benefits as exercising. A great love making session gets the heart pumping which helps circulate and oxygenate blood. Having sex at least once a week also helps keep testosterone and estrogen levels in balance. If these levels become imbalanced for too long, you could put yourself at risk of high blood pressure or cardiovascular disease.
6. Reduces risk of prostate cancer. As men get older, their risk of prostate cancer increases. Having sex to the point of ejaculation once or more per week can help reduce the chances of getting prostate cancer. The reason ejaculation is so important is due to the prostate’s role. The prostate acts as a factory by producing a milky white fluid that protects and nourishes semen as it gets pushed through the urethra. If a substantial amount of time goes by without ejaculating, the prostate absorbs and collects toxins (including carcinogens) that remain stagnant. Over time, those toxins can form into cancer. The only way to release these toxins is through ejaculation via intercourse or masturbation.
7. Rejuvenates skin and hair. Do you want to appear several years younger? If so, have sex two or three times per week. Orgasms trigger the release of estrogen in both women and men. Estrogen promotes collagen production which allows our skin to remain hydrated and wrinkle-free. Also, increased blood circulation sends oxygen to the skin making it look and feel healthier.
8. Strengthens the pelvic floor. Sexual intercourse is much like going to the gym to build muscle. The more often you go to the gym, the more the muscles develop. The same can be said with the pelvic floor (PC) muscles. During sex, the pelvic floor muscles can be squeezed for extra sensation and also naturally contract during orgasm. Over time, PC muscles can get stronger thus allowing for better bladder control which reduces incontinence.
9. Burns calories & tones muscles. Cardio = sex, Sex = Cardio. Although sex and a gym workout are completely different, plenty of calories can be burned in either situation. In fact, it is possible to burn 3 to 5 calories per minute during sex. With so many sex positions, you’ll also be working a lot of muscles including your abs, back, butt, thighs, legs, and arms.
10. Improves sperm fertility. For those that are trying to get pregnant, having sex frequently can improve sperm quality. Frequent sex including ejaculation rids the testicular ducts of old and/or damaged sperm allowing for fresh and healthy sperm to be produced. It’s more likely that fresh sperm will have the ability to fertilize the egg.
11. Strengthens bones. Regular weekly sex increases and helps maintain proper estrogen and testosterone levels. Keeping these two sex hormones at healthy levels keeps bones strong and (along with a healthy diet) can help prevent Osteoporosis.
12. Enhances self-esteem. Having a successful, fulfilling, and enjoyable session of bedroom fun simply makes a person feel good. Getting the change to make your partner climax can give you a boost of confidence and gives a sense of proficiency for a job well done. Having your partner’s attention can also make you feel more attractive and desirable. This enhanced self-esteem can be carried well beyond the bedroom and into all aspects of your life.
13. Increases intimacy to build a strong relationship. Making love on a frequent basis allows for increased levels of the hormone oxytocin. This is the “feel good” love hormone. This wonderful little chemical helps make you feel like cuddling, and overall, more bonded to your partner. Oxytocin can also released while kissing!
Well…there you have it. As you can see, there are so many health benefits by having sex. Now grab your partner and head to the bedroom to start making a healthier you!
We hope you have enjoyed this post. Please feel free to comment if you have any questions, concerns or information you'd like to share. Be sure to check back for more blogs and product reviews or subscribe to our newsletter for automatic updates. We can also be reached directly via email at email@example.com.